First, you need to know whether you have bond conditions or probationary requirements that do not permit you to leave. If this is the case, you will need to consult with your bondsman or probation officer to get permission before leaving. If your conditions and/or requirements do not allow you to leave, your attorney can file a motion that would authorize you to travel, if it is a necessity (e.g. for work purposes).

If you’re planning to move permanently, you should discuss your plans well in advance both with your attorney and with your probation officer, if applicable. If your probation officer gives permission, you may be required to transfer your probation to your new location.

Be careful making any changes while on probation. If you violate your probation or bond conditions, you may be subject to extended time or requirements on your probation or may even have your probation revoked and be sent to jail.

For some offenses, you may be eligible to apply for Early Termination of your probation. If you are eligible, your attorney can file a petition with the court to allow you to complete your probation early.

If you are at all unsure about whether you are able to go on a short-term vacation or whether you can move out of the area, you should consult with your attorney before making any decisions.

If you would like to find out whether you are eligible to apply for early termination of probation, call us today for a consultation with an experienced attorney!